Sony Ericsson announces Xperia Ray and Xperia Active
Sony Ericsson has announced two new Android smartphones this morning — the aluminum-framed Xperia Ray, and the ruggedized Xperia Active.
The Ray is a 3.3-inch phone running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, powered by a 1GHz CPU — presumably the same second-gen Snapdragon used in recent Xperia phones. Like the Xperia Arcand Xperia Neo, the Ray also comes equipped with Sony’s Mobile Bravia Engine and Exmor R technology powering its 8.1MP rear camera. Other notables inlcude the addition of a front-facing camera, and of course the custom Sony Ericsson software that we’ve seen on the Arc and other devices.
The Xperia Active is smaller still, measuring just 3 inches diagonally. It too runs Gingerbread, and sports a 1GHz CPU. Sony Ericsson is pitching the phone towards more active smartphone users, including a dust and water-resistant screen, as well as features like “wet finger tracking”, so the phone’s touchscreen is usable with wet hands. On top of that there’s bundled software for monitoring your heart rate and general fitness levels, if you’re into that sort of thing. And you also get a 5-megapixel camera with 720p recording capability, though no Exmor R this time around.
Both devices are due for release in “selected markets” sometime in the third quarter of the year. Join us after the jump for videos of both phones, along with the full press release.
22 June 2011, Singapore – Sony Ericsson today broadened its portfolio with the introduction of two new Xperia smartphones, a feature phone and Smart Extras™ in conjunction with CommunicAsia 2011 in Singapore. Adding to the Xperia™ portfolio, Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ active both run the latest version of the Android platform for smartphones (Gingerbread 2.3) and deliver unique consumer experiences. The company also announced new Smart Extras™ that enhance the overall Sony Ericsson experience.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates that we continue to deliver a portfolio to make the Sony Ericsson experience available to a broad range of consumers,” said Steve Walker, Chief Marketing Officer, Sony Ericsson. “As the Android platform gains market share in Asia Pacific, the Xperia™ portfolio is well positioned to deliver consumers a unique and differentiated experience.”
Underscoring Sony Ericsson’s commitment to the Android platform, Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ active offer consumers unique design and technology for an entertaining experience.
- For those who want a sleek and beautiful design, Xperia™ ray combines a slim 9.4mm form factor with a high quality aluminium frame and a 3.3” screen.
- To deliver speed along with stunning visuals and clarity, this Android smartphone contains a powerful 1Ghz processor and uses Sony technology such as Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® engine and a 8.1mp camera with Exmor R™ for mobile sensor.
- Xperia™ ray will be available globally in select markets, including Japan, from Q3.
- For consumers with an active lifestyle Xperia™ active has a compact design combined with a number of innovative hardware features including a 3” screen, a powerful 1Ghz processor and a 5mp camera. It is also dust proof and water resistant and uniquely incorporates wet finger tracking.
- This smartphone features a corner user interface which comes pre-loaded with sports apps that enable users to easily track their fitness levels. By using the built-in GPS, barometer and compass in combination with the on-screen heart rate & pulse monitor (enabled by ANT+ wireless networking technology), and the iMapMyFitness app – users can easily monitor their day to day performance.
- Xperia™ active will be available globally in select markets from Q3, 2011